Big Guts Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Big Guts Discussion Forum > Big Guts Discussions > Funnies

Funnies Got a good joke, or funny story to share - here's the place to put it

Closed Thread

Old 17th February 2007, 09:50 PM
Regular Big Gut

Versalius is on a distinguished road
The waistband of the trousers should meet the bottom of your tie.
Old 17th February 2007, 10:22 PM
Regular Big Gut

notsolittlepiggy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by troodon View Post
For the tie, if you go the suspender route, I guess the length of the tie should reach down to about an inch above the virtual waistline (whererver the belt would be, if you were wearing one).
The belt would be at the top of your pants. Are you suggesting you'd wear your pants somewhere around the widest point on your belly, or below your belly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versalius View Post
The waistband of the trousers should meet the bottom of your tie.
That's great advice for a thin guy!

I looked up your height and weight from your intro... you are the same height as me, and about 25 pounds heavier. If you wear your pants below your belly like I do (and I'd have to believe my belly is smaller), the tie would be flapping out in mid air a couple of inches in front of the pants!

I had this discussion with another (very) big bellied guy, and we agreed the tie should end at the point indicated in the attached picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w198-4 tie.JPG (47.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 19th March 2007, 07:47 PM
Senior Big Gut

fat hiker is on a distinguished road
Yeah, that seems like the right place for the tie to end.

Over the belly or under, depends on the belly - more shape than size. But there comes a point for all fat guys where suspenders/braces become a necessity, I think, with dress pants.

And, they look good too! For a lot of 'bear' type guys, having to wear suspenders is a sign that your belly has arrived in the 'big leagues'.
Old 22nd March 2007, 12:18 AM
Graduating Big Gut

ozysteve is on a distinguished road
You are right - there is a point where it becomes a necessity to wear the pants over not under. As someone who is getting very close to 500lbs, it becomes very difficult to reach under to deal with belts etc. Also let me let all you bigger guys know, once you take the plunge to start wearing your pants over the belly - which I did about a year and a bit ago - you will be amazed at the comfort. This is especially so if your belly is like mine and really getting full down low. Suspenders/braces make it all a whole lot easier.

Thats my 2 cents worth!
Old 22nd March 2007, 03:48 AM
Master Big Gut

jaybear is on a distinguished road
For most big-bellied guys, I think it really looks so much better for the pants to ride below the gut - and that's where mine are most comfy anyway. And it shows off the belly to best advantage. Tie to just above the belt may be okay to a certain point, but ties are hard to find long enough to stretch to that point for some of us. So I think mine looks okay just to the navel.

For the really larger guys, logistics may dictate pants over the gut and that may be okay cuz on a really huge guy, I think it looks way sexy to see lots of lower belly sticking out below the belt.

But I never want to have to wear suspenders. I've tried them and no way! I have very large and sensitive pointy nipples, and suspenders either ride right over them and irritate the hell out of them, or else saw away at them from the side. And I LIKE my nips and don't wanta have to hide them under runners' nipple-guards!
Old 25th April 2007, 01:17 AM
Junior Big Gut

Donut is on a distinguished road
As somebody who wears dress clothes five days a week, I have the following observations to share:

wearing the pants around the belly is superior if you're trying to hide said belly.
wearing pants around the belly does look more professional, but also more dorky.
i'm more comfortable with pants around the belly instead of below it. however, the belt needs to be tighter around the flesh in order to hold the pants up. so it's not significantly more comfortable overall.
Old 28th May 2007, 05:18 PM
Senior Big Gut

fat hiker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
As somebody who wears dress clothes five days a week, I have the following observations to share:

wearing pants around the belly does look more professional, but also more dorky.
I think this depends a lot on the confidence level of the guy, and how 'professional' the rest of the suit ensemble looks. My boss has a vast belly and always wears his pants below his gut - and looks very professional, as his shirts are long enough that they stay tucked in, his ties are long enough and carefully tied so they come to just the maximum sticking out point of his shirt over his gut, and his shirt is always crisp, his tie always clean and nicely knotted, and his pants and suit jackets fit properly. If any of those items were sloppy, then pants over the belly might be a better bet - or maybe just dorky.

I work in a fairly traditional office environment, not a techie environment, and there are a lot of traditional dressers here - but what matters most is how neatly the look is pulled together. A little eccentricity is acceptable here if the rest is tightly professional - as well as my boss whose pants ride below his gut, one other senior type in our office always wears short-sleeve shirts -but again, beautiful ties, jackets and pants that fit well, and he can pull that off. Down the hall is a guy who is very traditional about suits and shirts, but always wears a bow-tie! Again, if it's pulled together and neat and clean, it works.

For shirts and ties that are long enough, you do have to look in men's shops, or in better department stores. A measuring tape is a good thing to carry when shopping for clothes - then when you find something that fits, you can measure the necessary lengths, and know that other shirts etc will fit. Also, fellow fat guys who wear their pants under their guts, always look for pants cut with a bias - that is, with the front of the pants cut lower than the back. I find, for example, that Levi's 'relaxed fit' are cut this way, where 'regular fit' are not (plus, in relaxed fit I'm a 38, but a 40 in regular - go figure!).

Closed Thread