Big Guts Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Big Guts Discussion Forum > Big Guts Discussions > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic Discussions About Anything

Closed Thread

Old 11th July 2006, 02:27 AM
WTFOMGwolfgang

Hypocritical?

I'm feeling very angsty about the American government today and how they're handling certain topics, so I'll just put this out there...

Don't you think that the way they're handling gay marriage is a bit hypocritical? Think: Religious statues and such are being removed from state property, in some places [schools and work] people aren't allowed to wear religious jewelry, "Under God" is probably going to be removed from the pledge of allegience, "Christmas" is called "Holiday" to avoid offending people, and the list goes on. Yet some of the same people who did the aforementioned things are trying to ban gay marriage because it dosen't agree with the Christian religious definition of marriage. Something's not right.

I'm Pagan, but I believe in equal rights for all religions [provided they're not doing anything illegal] because though I don't necessarily agree with some other religious, their right of expression is also my right. It seems as though the government is trying to do away with all form of religion - Neo-Pagan and alternative religions are persecuted by Christianity, which is in turn persecuted by the government - and when religion is destroyed, the government has all the power because there is nothing higher in the minds of the people. Yes, Paganism is very veague when it comes to morals, but he few various sects unite different types of people; mine, for instance, attracts quite nationalistic people who go against the tide of new, self-destructive, pre-communistic, bizarro-liberal thinking [thus trying to preserve the "old ways" and the wisdom of Pagan societies before us]

I'm opposed to gay marriage, but not for the reasons that the politicians are. Civil union could be exploited by straight people for financial reasons, which wouldn't be fair to the gays/lesbians that want to get married for emotional reasons. I'm also opposed to a nation-wide ban on it and I think states should decide on what's best for themselves. States with a significant gay/lesbian population can have it legal and states that have a very very small gay/lesbian population can ban it to prevent it from being exploited, or for whatever reason they have. An attempt at a nation-wide law like that is an attempt to add influence to the central government; something we don't need.

I wish government was fair and just, and run by people that have no alteriour motives. That's never going to happen though, so all I can do is try to oppose it.
Old 11th July 2006, 02:32 PM
Awesome Big Gut

Matuso is on a distinguished road
I'm just getting tired of America as a whole.
Old 11th July 2006, 10:21 PM
WTFOMGwolfgang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matuso
I'm just getting tired of America as a whole.
Me too. I'm seriously thinking about moving to Russia or Norway so I don't have to expose my future kids to this nonsense.
Old 12th July 2006, 12:44 PM
Awesome Big Gut

Matuso is on a distinguished road
Future kids? You're straight? *holds nose and points theatrically* Be gone.

But I kid.

I'm planning on moving to Vancouver, or some place liberal.
Old 12th July 2006, 07:04 PM
Awesome Big Gut

bobbysgut is on a distinguished road
I guess I am much more of a Libertarian than anything. I just can't stand the control that the government is having in everything. We are so far from the principles the country was founded on that we are bordering on tyranny. As for gay marriage, I get sick seeing all the anti-gay marriage people being very un-Christianlike in the way they talk about it. If you are going to base your argument on Christianity than you should probably try to be a bit more "loving your neighbor" about it. I think that the best option is to leave it up to the states, although that creates problems in interstate relations (Will the marriage be recognized by other states?)
Old 14th July 2006, 02:50 AM
Senior Big Gut

MCR Fan is on a distinguished road
Yeah, we pretty much forgot the "Majority rules" part of the country. It's more of a "who can cause more of a problem for us" thing. Another thing, marriage is not controlled by the chirches, it's by the state, so religion shouldn't play a role in this.

And like Bobbysgut said, the people using Christianity for a reason against it make me sick. They obviously don't actually know about the religion if they're doing this. In the religion, doesn't it say, quite a bit, that god loves everyone?

Some people just need to get over themselves.
Old 14th July 2006, 01:25 PM
Account Disabled

carrie_fan is on a distinguished road
yall are the first people to complain about where we live. i think its hypricrtical for yall to not want to live here. were free, what else can u ask for.
Old 16th July 2006, 10:59 PM
WTFOMGwolfgang

Lightbulb

Quote:
Another thing, marriage is not controlled by the churches, it's by the state, so religion shouldn't play a role in this
The state bases it's standard for marriage off of Christian beliefs though. Gays/lesbians are able to get married in undecided states because those particular states have regarded it as what it should be: a legally binding contract of financial benefit and commitment to fidelity. No president before Bush really worried too much about it enough to make a nation-wide push to ban it - but he seems to be applying his Christian morals and beliefs to what should remain applicable to all people regardless of their *lawful* lifestyle choices.

Quote:
And like Bobbysgut said, the people using Christianity for a reason against it make me sick. They obviously don't actually know about the religion if they're doing this.
Hey, I know about Christianity. When my dad found about my first attempt at Paganism, he told me to choose a Christian religion instead [called Paganism "a bunch of subversive nonsense"] so I was open-minded and went through 3 different sects, learning about each one as I went, before reverting back to the first path I chose. In 4 years, I was Pentecostal, Roman Catholic, and Russian Orthodox. A lot of people only know the doctrine of one sect, their own, but I've known 3 and I know for a fact that they have sometimes strikingly different beliefs.

Quote:
In the religion, doesn't it say, quite a bit, that god loves everyone?
People say that God loves everyone. In the bible, it's hard to ignore the instances of God killing people, tormenting them with pleagues, and destroying things.

The right religion for you isn't the right religion for everyone.
Old 17th July 2006, 04:05 PM
Big_fat_kiddo

"And then God said to Adam and Eve: Go, and multiply"

That sounds like incest to me...
Old 18th July 2006, 01:29 AM
Regular Big Gut

Wafflez is on a distinguished road
You know, that's not actually incest. They aren't brother and sister; they were the first two people created.

Now, when their 2 sons/5 daughters had to carry on the family name...
Closed Thread