Big Guts Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Big Guts Discussion Forum > Big Guts Discussions > Suggestions


Suggestions Feel free to post suggestions to improve your visits here

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 16th June 2007, 08:19 PM
buy more product's Avatar
buy more product buy more product is offline
Awesome Big Gut
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 151
buy more product is on a distinguished road
It can? Wow. Firefox is such an impressive browser.
  #12  
Old 16th June 2007, 09:02 PM
Icarus Icarus is offline
Awesome Big Gut
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 265
Icarus is on a distinguished road
Yes, it's impressively shit, but lets not get into that here....
  #13  
Old 16th June 2007, 09:55 PM
buy more product's Avatar
buy more product buy more product is offline
Awesome Big Gut
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 151
buy more product is on a distinguished road
really? I thought of my switch from ie to firefox was an upgrade for me. I hope I wasn't deceived by linux-eating open source nerds.
  #14  
Old 17th June 2007, 05:23 AM
WTFOMGwolfgang
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by buy more product View Post
really? I thought of my switch from ie to firefox was an upgrade for me. I hope I wasn't deceived by linux-eating open source nerds.
Switching to ANYTHING from IE is an upgrade
  #15  
Old 17th July 2007, 08:57 PM
AFatChance AFatChance is offline
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 121
AFatChance is on a distinguished road
So, what happened to this suggestion. I think it's a great idea.

Why not ask those who often post pictures? I've seen many websites you can't right click. It's annoying, but it's neccessary.
  #16  
Old 25th July 2007, 07:33 PM
Pwim Pwim is offline
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 132
Pwim is on a distinguished road
There's no point doing this. It will just bring a false sense of security.

For one thing, the forum is using ready-made forum software, and I'm not sure how easy it is to slip in customizations like that.

The other thing is that it won't stop anybody who's determined. For practically any browser other than IE, disabling right clicking is non-functional. Most sites will have at least one person who knows how to circumvent it. These freak safari people were obviously technically inclined in that they found a way to get in without activation, or whatever it was, so they would have no problem getting round it.

On top of that, it will irritate people who are trying to right click in order to open in new tabs because they don't have a middle mouse button to do the same thing (this forum uses images for the "go to first new post" links).

The only way we could make it very difficult to download the pictures would be to require the use of some kind of special software to view them, which would be highly impractical and still not foolproof. It would be a kind of DRM, like they put on video and music, and that's not even fully watertight.

Trying to both allow somebody to view an image and prevent them from making copies of it are two fundamentally opposed things unless you're physically there with them and can wrestle them to the ground in an attempt to stop them.

I know it's not nice to have your pics stolen, but this site does do a lot to protect them, and the golden rule for the internet is to never give out information you don't want falling into the wrong hands, although that's obviously of little comfort once it's already happened. I am sorry for you though.
  #17  
Old 25th July 2007, 09:53 PM
buy more product's Avatar
buy more product buy more product is offline
Awesome Big Gut
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 151
buy more product is on a distinguished road
Hmmm, well spoken. It sounds like the disable-right-click camp has had its knell sounded. ("Who is this magisterial man?" he said, in a 30s lounge singer voice.)
  #18  
Old 26th July 2007, 05:05 AM
Toddle's Avatar
Toddle Toddle is offline
Awesome Big Gut
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 389
Toddle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwim View Post
These freak safari people were obviously technically inclined in that they found a way to get in without activation, or whatever it was, so they would have no problem getting round it.
Googlebot. 'Nuff said.

I saw how to get a registry edit to get into forums without registering. It was reading something like if you were annoyed with how links on Google lead to forums but you couldn't view them without registering. How was it done, blah blah blah. The registry edit is found easily online. No more than like 5 minutes on the computer and you're ready to go. It even gives how to get that mode off. Lets you in forums for free.

However, I don't think that they got in without registering. Remember the fake post about the one who died, but it turned out it was all the one guy from FS? Easier to register and delete than do the registry edit.
__________________
Lingua Mortua Sola Lingua Bona Est

(\__/)
( o.O) This is Bunneh. Copy and paste Bunneh into
(" )_(" ) your signature to help him gain world domination.
Registered Linux User Number: 453194
Current stats: Ask Me
----------------------------------
  #19  
Old 26th July 2007, 07:47 AM
FatMike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddle View Post
However, I don't think that they got in without registering. Remember the fake post about the one who died, but it turned out it was all the one guy from FS? Easier to register and delete than do the registry edit.
Unfortunately our email activation wasn't working at the time, so thats why they came through. There is a good reason why yahoo/hotmail is removed, though more technically inclined will know how to circumvent it.

This wasn't discussed any further because there is nothing you can do about it. Everyone here should have common sense that if you upload a picture anywhere on the interwebs, it can end up anywhere.
  #20  
Old 26th July 2007, 12:06 PM
LrgrThnLf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddle View Post
Googlebot. 'Nuff said.

I saw how to get a registry edit to get into forums without registering. It was reading something like if you were annoyed with how links on Google lead to forums but you couldn't view them without registering. How was it done, blah blah blah. The registry edit is found easily online. No more than like 5 minutes on the computer and you're ready to go. It even gives how to get that mode off. Lets you in forums for free.

However, I don't think that they got in without registering. Remember the fake post about the one who died, but it turned out it was all the one guy from FS? Easier to register and delete than do the registry edit.
Probably changing the browser ID string to match Google's so that in the event a forum wants to be indexed by google, it thinks you're google, and serves up the content without a login.

Relying on anything supplied by the same source as the request is a bad idea.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:23 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.