Go Back   Big Guts Discussion Forum > Big Guts Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Tell us about yourself here

Closed Thread

Old 17th June 2009, 10:41 PM
Senior Big Gut

thebigfatstereo is on a distinguished road
meet ups

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking seriously about meeting other gainers. I'm 23 year old and live in Nottingham in the UK.
What is the best way of arranging meet ups? or at least, get to know people online first and then arrange it? What advice have you got?

Plus, if you live in Britain, please shout!
Old 17th June 2009, 11:19 PM
Awesome Big Gut

Strider is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigfatstereo View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking seriously about meeting other gainers. I'm 23 year old and live in Nottingham in the UK.
What is the best way of arranging meet ups? or at least, get to know people online first and then arrange it? What advice have you got?

Plus, if you live in Britain, please shout!
Meet someone online through one of the few limited gainer websites, chat on IM for a good while, then meet up for a friendly outing and see where it goes from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcHxiw9QIfc
Old 18th June 2009, 12:47 AM
Junior Big Gut

akpolerbear is on a distinguished road
I would never jump into anything that starts on a forum or other outlet on the web. With more and more strange people showing up in the news with new and creative ways to cause harm I would be very slow to react.

That said, I have a handful of people I game with that I have known for years and talk to nearly every day over Vent (voice chat server) that I have never met in person. The main reason is they live too far away for us to visit without making it some kind of vacation. At the same time, I don't find a need to meet in person.

TBH, the reasons to meet up are mostly limited and I most of those cases it would probably result in some kind of a legal matter...

If you do manage to meet up with someone, try to take a friend or make the meeting in a very public place with lots of people. Better to do it during the day, say a lunch date as well. DON'T give them any way to contact you personally other then through the web site or other method like this site. I would include not to give them your email address either.

Anyway, you should not restrict yourself from meeting new people just be very careful when you do it.
Old 18th June 2009, 07:26 AM
Awesome Big Gut

Elfstone is on a distinguished road
While you should be cautious, I think common sense is enough. I met my current boyfriend on the forum. I had talked to him for months and months and we decided to meet as friends and go out to lunch.

My point is, sure there's weirdos out there, but theres lots of good people and you never know what comes of it.

However, advertising a meet up like this I don't think is the most intelligent way to go about it, no offense. It just is like asking for weirdos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akpolerbear View Post
I would never jump into anything that starts on a forum or other outlet on the web. With more and more strange people showing up in the news with new and creative ways to cause harm I would be very slow to react.

That said, I have a handful of people I game with that I have known for years and talk to nearly every day over Vent (voice chat server) that I have never met in person. The main reason is they live too far away for us to visit without making it some kind of vacation. At the same time, I don't find a need to meet in person.

TBH, the reasons to meet up are mostly limited and I most of those cases it would probably result in some kind of a legal matter...

If you do manage to meet up with someone, try to take a friend or make the meeting in a very public place with lots of people. Better to do it during the day, say a lunch date as well. DON'T give them any way to contact you personally other then through the web site or other method like this site. I would include not to give them your email address either.

Anyway, you should not restrict yourself from meeting new people just be very careful when you do it.
Old 18th June 2009, 12:17 PM
Awesome Big Gut

Fat Nat is on a distinguished road
Without wanting to sound slutty (what, lil' old me? =P), I'd like to say that I've met many, many people from forums like this over the years and I've never had any problems. I've always made sure that I've known the person relatively well online and we always meet up somewhere public, like a train station or some outdoor gathering place. Usually it's a matter of convenience because one or the other person has had to travel to get there but it provides a means of escape if the person turns out to be a weirdo or not who they said they were online. I would absolutely avoid going around to someone's house for a first meeting, but of course if you've met the person before and know and trust them then that's different.

So my advice is, proceed with caution. If you're under 18 don't meet up with someone who's significantly older than you, and if you think the person you're meeting has lied about his age then don't continue with the meeting. I know it's obvious but it probably bears repeating. Have fun!

(I'm 23 and from London, by the way)
Old 18th June 2009, 01:46 PM
Big_fat_kiddo

I'll probably get flamed for doing this....

-2.3- Please do not use this forum to arrange meetings or hook-ups in any way. If you want to, arrange it outside of the Forum without using any of the tools here such as, PM, E-mail, Posting, Profile.

BUT! Since there are more and more people wanting to do this.... proceed
Old 18th June 2009, 05:46 PM
Awesome Big Gut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_fat_kiddo View Post
I'll probably get flamed for doing this....

-2.3- Please do not use this forum to arrange meetings or hook-ups in any way. If you want to, arrange it outside of the Forum without using any of the tools here such as, PM, E-mail, Posting, Profile.

BUT! Since there are more and more people wanting to do this.... proceed
lol I was sure there was a rule, but I didn't bother saying anything because I leave that to you guys (mods). :-p
Old 18th June 2009, 06:23 PM
Big_fat_kiddo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfstone View Post
lol I was sure there was a rule, but I didn't bother saying anything because I leave that to you guys (mods). :-p
Yea, it is there because we have a lot of minors on this site, and don't want to be held responsible if things go wrong.
Old 18th June 2009, 07:23 PM
Junior Big Gut

akpolerbear is on a distinguished road
I have a friend that met his wife on line and it turned out to be a great thing for both of them. I also like to think that we have more good people then bad in this world and while that might be true from what I have seen the ratio of good to bad using niche sites tend to go the other way.

Common sense is the best first line to use. I give examples of other things just to spark ideas. 8)

Thanks for not closing the thread and recognizing way things are changing. 8)

I want to wish you luck in your search and most of all have fun! hehe
Old 18th June 2009, 09:49 PM
Awesome Big Gut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_fat_kiddo View Post
Yea, it is there because we have a lot of minors on this site, and don't want to be held responsible if things go wrong.
Oh, I wasn't questioning the rule, in fact I think it's a great rule actually. Because honestly, I think if people meet that they should either know the person really well and do it off the forum, or if they are looking for random hookups/tricks then they should know not to do it on a forum with minors :-)

so in short, I fully agree with you guys. lol.
Closed Thread