PDA

View Full Version : Pride Sunday!! (6-3-07)

likealightbulb
30th May 2007, 05:08 PM
Yep Michigan's Pride in Detroit (Ferndale) is this Sunday!! woo!! its gunna be soo much funn and loadsss of ppl...o and lots of good food too! hah!! Anyone around the aera should totally come out! (if ur into that sorta thing) Plus you could meet me! what can be better then that!! :) lol...Anways just though id let u all know...dumb i know..but yea!

-Dan

dream853
30th May 2007, 07:15 PM
oooooh i so wish i could go!!! :p (well i live in Canada, but still)---I really wanna go to something Pride related so badly, but I'd never be able to make up an excuse that's intricate enough to allow me to get past my mom for like a whole weekend (and go to Toronto lol). I think the Canadian Pride is coming up soon too, but i'll start getting off topic lol....
Well, I hope you have lots of fun (and food, if you want :p) this weekend!!! {wish i could be there lol}

likealightbulb
31st May 2007, 03:50 AM
Yep Michigan's Pride in Detroit (Ferndale) is this Sunday!! woo!! its gunna be soo much funn and loadsss of ppl...o and lots of good food too! hah!! Anyone around the aera should totally come out! (if ur into that sorta thing) Plus you could meet me! what can be better then that!! lol...Anways just though id let u all know...dumb i know..but yea!

-Dan

jaybear
31st May 2007, 04:04 AM
Nothing's dumb about Pride in our respective communities! It's so wonderful that we can do it. (In so many places, people can't!)

In Toronto, we have one of the largest Pride celebrations in the world. We have a full Pride Week, with the Rainbow Flag officially flown over City Hall Square. The week culminates with the Pride Parade on Sunday, June 24. The parade here regularly attracts well over a million people! No murders, no assaults, no hate (like some other events) - just a huge feel-good event and the only things the city crews have to clean up afterward are some sequins and feathers in Yonge Street! And some of the cutest Cops in the city volunteer for "crowd control" that day...! Yummmm....!

Wherever you are, support your local Pride events. And you may get to meet some of us BigGuts in the process!!!!! :-)

likealightbulb
31st May 2007, 05:02 AM
Ohh yea forgot to say! Im def. Going to Toronto's Pride...end of June with some friends....road trip!! woo!

Oh yea if any of you ever wanna chat! dont be shy!

Aim/Yahoo- Likealightbulb

same as here...how ironic...lol

FatMike
31st May 2007, 05:58 AM
No Thanks.

I personally think the whole gay pride thing is why the general public still treats gays the wrong way. Pretty much a bunch of guys generally holding up societies stereotypes of gays, and not recognizing that anyone could indeed be that way... and the fact that this way is promoted to teenagers with awkward sexuality is all the more worse, because its almost EXPECTED that they conform to the awful Stereotypes most of these Pride groups try and keep going.

I think I'll stay with refusing to label myself under any sexual orientation.
Would like to hear some opinions about my view on the whole community..

dream853
31st May 2007, 04:47 PM
I really know what you mean Boochan, and in some ways, i agree. Lots of the events may be promoting harmful stereotypes, and prsenting the wrong image, but I don't think they all do. I mean, I guess i wouldn't be the best person to say this because I've never been. However, I know if I went, I wouldn't be walking around with feathery boas or anything (but i do think that if people want to do that they're more than welcome to ;)). I think i'd just like to walk in the parade with a few close friends, and feel a sense of community. I'd just like to be secure, happy, and have fun for a day, without feeling that people will criticize or make fun (at least not those in my immediate surroundings), and i think that just because you're in a parade, that doesn't mean you have to behave in an overly flamboyant manner if that's not who you are.

jaybear
1st June 2007, 03:37 AM
Boochan, I understand what you are saying, and I know that in some places, particularly where such events are just beginning and may be spearheaded by militant or "outrageous" types, what Pride events show may just be "awful stereotypes" that straight people and press reporters "love to hate".

But that CERTAINLY is not what the parade and other Pride Week events here in Toronto (or some other enlightened major centres) present. It is not simply a parade of ugly stereotypes. It is not confrontational nor does it promote lifestyle changes for anyone. In fact, the parade, which takes about two hours to pass any particular spot along the route, features not only "entertainment" type floats and marching displays, but also walking are many governmental, industry, and all kinds of health, recreational and support groups (for adults as well as teens), almost all of which display the gay scene in a totally positive and accepting manner - and not as something nasty that people would have a difficult time accepting.

The participants love it. The huge crowds along the route love it and shout encouragement. It is great for the city and tourism and is one of the two largest events that occur here each year - and of those two, it is by far the safest and most feel-good for everybody.

Before I went to my first Toronto Pride events and Parade, I had much trepidation about the same things about which Boochan has expressed concern. But having experienced the event - and since participated and/or observed for years, I have to say that it has done far more to break down fear and ignorance and prejudice and hate than to promote any of those negatives or to create problems for anybody, whether young or old.

It simply is a truly joyful celebration of life, but I suppose one really must experience a celebration like this one in order to appreciate it. To pass judgment from afar and with no experience, it is impossible to understand the positives.

FatMike
1st June 2007, 09:46 AM
I know ours here in Perth and in Sydney as well in Australia are very old events, but are rather spearheaded (as well as the GLBT organistations for each state) by these people that seem to have the mindset that following the stereotype is a good thing (The ex-head of the association in my state actually took advantage of heaps of guys from memory).

Its something that heaps of crowds turn out and watch, and its something that the local stores and restaurant trade get a fair bit of cash from, but from what ive witnessed it seems to be mostly a drag and other such display, mainly witholding the stereotypes (at least with gay men).

jaybear
2nd June 2007, 03:25 AM
...from what I've witnessed it seems to be mostly a drag and other such display, mainly witholding the stereotypes (at least with gay men).
That's too bad. And all I can say is that I hope the Pride organizers in your area wake up and smell the coffee and learn from other cities. And realize that the gay part of the world encompasses a whole lot more than just drag or other stereotypes - which I don't like either and which in no way are representative of the lives of myself or any of my friends in any of the gay recreational/sporting/entertainment groups to which I belong.

Education is a huge part of Pride... education not only of the straight public but of the gay community itself. We've come a long way in a relatively short period of time, but it's painfully obvious that there's a long way yet to go. I only hope that not too many people get disillusioned in the process... and that community leaders keep things in perspective.