PDA

View Full Version : Sophmores who get cars...

Diagonal
17th May 2007, 01:33 PM
Really SUCK. I'm so envious of them. I hate the bus, and having to walk everywhere. (I don't have a bike.) I basically don't get a car till' I'm a Junior. Oh well. My car is gonna kick their car's asses. >:D
Plus free rides everywhere.

fat hiker
17th May 2007, 03:45 PM
Really SUCK. I'm so envious of them. I hate the bus, and having to walk everywhere. (I don't have a bike.) I basically don't get a car till' I'm a Junior. Oh well. My car is gonna kick their car's asses. >:D
Plus free rides everywhere.

And here I thought this quote might be about the gaining advantages of having a car...

Ah, cars. Parking - a mess. Insurance - an expensive nightmare. Plus gas cots (US$3 a gallon!!). Repairs. (Blown transmissions tend to blow budgets!) Plus all those idiot drivers who yak on their cell phones while eating a burger while driving, and cut each other off...

Man, give me the bus!

Big_fat_kiddo
17th May 2007, 08:37 PM
Lucky you at any rate, driving here isn't allowed till the age of 18.

pavili255
17th May 2007, 09:52 PM
Let's see... I started driver's ed in middle school (8th grade) Here in Idaho, you can start driver's ed at 14 1/2. My first car was my mom's old car (a 1992 Honda Accord). I started driving shortly after getting my 1st job (a few months before my 16th birthday). I've been driving since my freshman year.

What bugs me is not the young kids who get cars, its the young kids who get cars like brand new mustangs, mercedes-benzes, bmw, etc... Sadly, I go to a rich school.

Icarus
17th May 2007, 11:16 PM
My opinion is, yes it looks 'cool' to have a car in your later years at school, and yes I suppose it is mildly more practical.

But all it says of you is "my mummy and daddy have more money than common sense, or not alot of either", because it indicates you clearly can't afford to pay for it yourself while still at school, so they've dipped into their pocket for their little 'angel' and paid for it along with the insurance and tax (the latter two are compulsary in the UK).

Really bugs me, but the best bit is half of them end up having accidents in the first week or so, serves the little bastards right.

Diagonal
18th May 2007, 12:05 AM
I get a nice car. :D

jaybear
18th May 2007, 02:12 AM
But all it says of you is "my mummy and daddy have more money than common sense, or not alot of either"...

Really bugs me, but the best bit is half of them end up having accidents in the first week or so, serves the little bastards right.
Best? Well, not always nice...

Perfect example of this in our city last year. Two private-school kids in expensive cars were racing each other at 140 km. in a 60 km. zone, going around two bends and up a hill. At the top, a taxi was making a legal left turn but didn't have a chance once he could see them. They t-boned him up against a lamp post and killed him.

Now their daddies are pulling every legal string they can to keep them out of jail where they deserve to rot. Sickening... :mad:

koalaman
18th May 2007, 04:32 AM
a car may sound cool and popular, but honestly i wish i didn't have a car and lived in a more populated area with public transportation. gas is expensive and insurance is a killer and stupid drivers make me mad. i always honk my horn and them and i think everybody should! i don't understand why people think it's a bad thing to honk, it's perfectly legal!

i know how it feels to be that kid on the school bus, it sucks. i had to walk 5 blocks to get to my house and ANY mom that would drive by would ask "where did your car break down" to me.

this year two kids at my school died because of a car wreck. they were doing tricks (in one car) on a very windy street and something went wrong with his axle and they ended up crashing. one died on impact and the other was alive for a day and he told the story to the people and ended up having a heart attack.

FatMike
18th May 2007, 09:51 AM
But all it says of you is "my mummy and daddy have more money than common sense, or not alot of either", because it indicates you clearly can't afford to pay for it yourself while still at school, so they've dipped into their pocket for their little 'angel' and paid for it along with the insurance and tax (the latter two are compulsary in the UK).
100% Agreed... I would think especially in your part of the world daedalusj.

Unless you don't have or live very far away from public transport, or the steep costs (as I've heard from friends in other countries) make it not worth it over a car, I go for it. I have to commute to my college 4 days a week, its about 15 miles away.. about US$1.50 both ways Bus/Train from my house directly to the college. My work is less then a mile away, so I just walk.

Though I'll still get my license anyway (can get it here at 16, and plus its de-facto ID when you get to 18 nonetheless) just so I am able to.

WTFOMGwolfgang
18th May 2007, 10:17 PM
You don't jump for joy to go to school. Driving is overrated. I'm not fond of basically wasting gas to go somewhere I don't want to be.

I actually like the bus because it's prime music-listening-to time. If it weren't for my mp3 player, I'd hate the bus.

Omniscient
19th May 2007, 01:01 AM
I actually like the bus because it's prime music-listening-to time. If it weren't for my mp3 player, I'd hate the bus.

They're life-savers aren't they? I travel 90km a day (55 miles or more), it would be unthinkable for me to leave without my mp3...

WTFOMGwolfgang
19th May 2007, 01:31 AM
They're life-savers aren't they? I travel 90km a day (55 miles or more), it would be unthinkable for me to leave without my mp3...

For some reason, I can't listen to headphones while driving. It has to be either plugged into the radio or listen to a CD. I guess I feel too much like I have blinkers on, except they're for my ears.

Happenstance
19th May 2007, 04:40 PM
For some reason, I can't listen to headphones while driving. It has to be either plugged into the radio or listen to a CD. I guess I feel too much like I have blinkers on, except they're for my ears.

That's also illegal, isn't it?

SlipperyFish05
20th May 2007, 02:31 AM
And here I thought this quote might be about the gaining advantages of having a car...

Ah, cars. Parking - a mess. Insurance - an expensive nightmare. Plus gas cots (US$3 a gallon!!). Repairs. (Blown transmissions tend to blow budgets!) Plus all those idiot drivers who yak on their cell phones while eating a burger while driving, and cut each other off...

Man, give me the bus!

I assume you are not from the US?:rolleyes: I wish we had the option of not driving. Most places, you are stranded without the car. Bus and School Bus are two different things.

Icarus
21st May 2007, 08:42 AM
OK, I'll admit the comments about it being 'best' for them to have accidents was a little harsh, and I agree with the comments about them causing accidents that have fatal concequences for the innocent parties involved.

Thats where they cross the line really, causing other people harm. If they want to go wrap themselves or the idiots their racing around a lampost or crash into a ditch, it'll serve them right for being so bloody stupid, but when someone who has no control over what their doing is involved, thats when they should be sent down for life, and never be allowed to drive again.

But, thanks to all the stupid loophole and flaws in most legal systems, most of them walk away with 3 years and/or a 6 month license ban, something that SHOULD be enforced for life in both circumstances.

You make your decisions, you make your choices, you live with the concequences, you DO NOT try and weedle your way out of them like a filthy little low life worm.

Sorry, just my views people :)

fat hiker
22nd May 2007, 03:48 PM
I assume you are not from the US?:rolleyes: I wish we had the option of not driving. Most places, you are stranded without the car. Bus and School Bus are two different things.

I'm in Canada now. But I have lived in Washington DC and in Atlanta. I only used my car on weekends in Washington, and certainly could have done without it - Washington and area has a fabulous transit system....in Atlanta, though, a car was a necessary evil. I took MARTA as often as I could (great park and rides!), but the connecting bus service through Greater Atlanta was sporadic.

Personally, my favourite transit vehicle is my bike - but not all cities (or even all areas of my city) are well set up for biking.

More US states need to add a few pennies to the gas tax and spend the proceeds on transit!

manager_richy
23rd May 2007, 02:32 AM
I live two miles outside of a smaller community. Wheather you are in or out of town, driving (or your parents transporting you) is a must. The town is too small for pub. transport to be feasible, and the school buses only run twice, right before and after school. Kids in activities have to drive, unless they live in walking distance. GAS SUCKS OUT LOUD! I wish it was at is pre-millenium price: $0.99, and sometimes a few cents less! $3.30 really stinks! Gas has more than tripled in only 7 years. Inflation doesn't even happen that fast! Someone ought to do something about that. If only Bush hadn't started a war. Everything was fine until then! When I think of all of the money I've spent on gas... wow. Not to mention his stupid war uses a ka-zillion gallons a day, and that drives demand up! If they would pull out and stop using gas for, what is now, a lost cause, the prices would plumet! Only to an extent, but they would. That's my 2 cents!(Thats USD)

FatMike
23rd May 2007, 09:55 AM
wish it was at is pre-millenium price: $0.99, and sometimes a few cents less! $3.30 really stinks! Gas has more than tripled in only 7 years. Inflation doesn't even happen that fast! (Thats USD)
Indeed, but dont complain considering every other western country has more expensive gas, even now then america. Without inflation and the weakening USD in question, gas prices have doubled in the US. We pay about the same here in Australia, but spare a thought for those in Europe who have to pay the equivalent of about US$7 a Gallon.

That 99c/Gal was a phenomenal price point that wouldn't have been reached otherwise, it only happened because the Asian Economy went down the toilet about that time.

Icarus
23rd May 2007, 11:03 AM
At the moment, prices here are verging on £1GBP per litre, however much that is in gallons etc, which is pretty much the highest it's ever been.

FatMike
23rd May 2007, 11:31 AM
At the moment, prices here are verging on £1GBP per litre, however much that is in gallons etc, which is pretty much the highest it's ever been.
about US$7.50/Gallon.
(1 Gallon = 3.8L, 1 Pound = US$2)

Barnabas Collins
23rd May 2007, 09:53 PM
Yeah, Americans are luckly because we far less than fifty percent of our oil from the Middle East, unlike the majority of the world.

Back onto cars, I would love to live in a more populated area. I feel so bad wasting all this money to transport myself about, but my parents are always too busy to carpool me about and that would double the trip. I loved being at college because everything was within walking distance, except when a group of us went to a city. Now I back in suburbs with an early ninties station wagon. My car runs fine, but I wish I had a direct way to connect in a cd player or better yet my mp3.

Anyways, there was this one kid at my high school who was tearing it up on this back road, when he drove right into a deer. His parents then got him a more modern, "safer" car. Had I done that, I would not be driving until I bought myself a car...

Icarus
23rd May 2007, 10:20 PM
Anyways, there was this one kid at my high school who was tearing it up on this back road, when he drove right into a deer. His parents then got him a more modern, "safer" car.

That has to be one of the dumbest parental things to do, ever...

FatMike
24th May 2007, 01:26 PM
Too many parents with more money (or willing to go into debt) then brains, just to keep their kids happy these days.

Barnabas Collins
24th May 2007, 02:05 PM
The worst part about this situation is that the kids has a sister a year younger than him, and she was also able to drive, but they made him the sole driver. The least they should have done is make her the only one to drive the new car, making him suffer by having to work around her schedule to do stuff.

fat hiker
28th May 2007, 05:38 PM
I live two miles outside of a smaller community. Wheather you are in or out of town, driving (or your parents transporting you) is a must. The town is too small for pub. transport to be feasible, and the school buses only run twice, right before and after school. Kids in activities have to drive, unless they live in walking distance. GAS SUCKS OUT LOUD! I wish it was at is pre-millenium price: $0.99, and sometimes a few cents less! $3.30 really stinks! Gas has more than tripled in only 7 years. Inflation doesn't even happen that fast! Someone ought to do something about that. If only Bush hadn't started a war. Everything was fine until then! When I think of all of the money I've spent on gas... wow. Not to mention his stupid war uses a ka-zillion gallons a day, and that drives demand up! If they would pull out and stop using gas for, what is now, a lost cause, the prices would plumet! Only to an extent, but they would. That's my 2 cents!(Thats USD)

Two miles is 10 minutes on my bike, maybe less, unless there's a headwind or big hills involved. Heck, two miles is only a 40 minute walk - 30 minutes at a good pace.

And, hate to break it to you, but the high price of gasoline (and all petroleum products) has nothing to do with the war in Iraq - if anything, the increasing amounts of oil that Iraq is able to export are helping keep the price down. The real drivers of oil prices - the increasing consumption of vehicles in the USA (how many Americans drive something with a honking big V6 or V8 engine) and the rising number of people buying their first car...in China and India. Chinese gasoline consumption is doubling every three years, as millions of Chinese trade in their bicycles and mopeds for their first Buick, VW, Toyota or BMW. India is not far behind, and the additional 500 million people in Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, and elsewhere in the south Asia and southern Africa is only going to drive oil prices higher. The cheap supply of oil is limited, folks - better trade for something more economical, and figure out how to reduce use. Not sitting idling with the AC or heat going for 10 or 15 minutes at stops would be a good place to start. Trading in your Suburban for a Jetta would be another...

Barnabas Collins
29th May 2007, 12:50 AM
The worst waist is A/C. I have seen people around who have their windows all closed when the temp is between 60 and 75. I understand that some people may not like fresh air, but I would hope to see over half the people driving with a cracked window or two.

Icarus
29th May 2007, 09:23 AM
Hey, if people want to pay for more fuel for the luxury of Air Conditioning, let them, thats their choice.

A/C gives a certain chilly blast you don't really get from having all your windows down, blasting hot air at you and making it hard to hear or even see if you've got contact lenses in.

Besides, if you open the window even a crack, A/C becomes useless, it needs a closed environment to work properly.

FatMike
29th May 2007, 10:00 AM
in China and India. Chinese gasoline consumption is doubling every three years, as millions of Chinese trade in their bicycles and mopeds for their first Buick, VW, Toyota or BMW. India is not far behind, and the additional 500 million people in Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, and elsewhere in the south Asia and southern Africa is only going to drive oil prices higher.
..That, and the fact it was only so cheap around 1999/2000 anyway because these said countries suffered a huge economic crisis/recession.

pavili255
31st May 2007, 04:54 AM
Yay for the 2005 Honda Civic!!! 28ish mpg for my normal everyday driving to school, home, work, back to school, friends' houses, etc and 39 mpg on the freeway... yeah, i drive a lot. Unfortunately, I don't really have the option to walk or ride my bike to school... it's about 7 miles away and i have a 0 hour (starts at 6:40). I would have to leave at about 5:45... that's really too early... i'm not even out of bed at that time.

Thats plenty good for me... i'm not planning on trading it in for anything that gets better for a while, probably not until this one dies on me (probably 15 or 20 years... I love my car.)

jaybear
2nd June 2007, 03:05 AM
Just for interest's sake, the two kids I mentioned in post #7 in this thread - who were racing their two Mercedes side-by-side at night at 140 in a 60 mid-city zone and killed an innocent cabbie who could not see them until too late cuz of their speed around two curves and up a hill - got off this week with NO jail time. Curfews and community service and no licenses for 4 years. The judge (who should be committed to an asylum) said he didn't think they were racing - just driving too fast! Their lawyers said it would have been unfair to lock them up! Poooooor babies...!

Will they learn ANYTHING from this? Their smirks on leaving the courthouse said "no". Wonder what kinds of cars their daddies will give them when they get their licenses back? And what ya wanta bet they'll be back behind the wheel before the four years are up? Nutz.

Grizzly
2nd June 2007, 09:16 PM
I'm 15 now, and I'll be 16 in January, so I get to start taking driver's ed in a few months (yay!). I won't be getting a car when I get my license sophomore year though; my parents said I have to wait until I'm a junior :( . I go to a private Catholic prep school, so everybody gets cars at the end of sophomore year and the beginning of junior year though.

jb17kx
5th June 2007, 11:44 AM
You know what sods me off? People who bitch about how expensive petrol is is, and how the environment is suffering, while completely ignoring the decent public transport system at their doorsteps. Now, I understand that not everybody has access to such a system, but I find it supremely hypocritical that there are people who are more than prepared to preach endlessly about saving the enviroment, but think that catching a train or, god forbid, bus *gasp* is below them.
Sorry - but you can do so much more for the enviroment, and your wallet, then you possibly can by adjusting your usage of airconditioning.

Barnabas Collins
5th June 2007, 12:10 PM
People may have causes, but they do not want to change their lifestyle for their virtues. I'm not saying that I always practice what I preach though. People also don't take buses because then they would have to do a little research to discover the times and places of bus stops.

Icarus
5th June 2007, 12:52 PM
At the end of the day, you pay for convienience, on several levels. The ability to go where YOU want when YOU want to, the luxury of having your own personal space on the way to your destination, not cramped up next to a stange old woman on a tiny bus seat, etc, etc.

In fact, with the price I pay for parking (either free or £1 all day) it's almost cheaper for me right now to drive, or at least it makes the gap between public and private transport minimal.

fat hiker
5th June 2007, 07:46 PM
I'm 15 now, and I'll be 16 in January, so I get to start taking driver's ed in a few months (yay!). I won't be getting a car when I get my license sophomore year though; my parents said I have to wait until I'm a junior :( . I go to a private Catholic prep school, so everybody gets cars at the end of sophomore year and the beginning of junior year though.

Here's another question: who will pay for the car? and almost as important, how much will insurance be, and who will cover that? Where I live, a new driver, male, 17, with his own car (ie, not just an occasional driver on a parent's car) is looking at an insurance bill of a minimum of $3,000 a year (for a very old smaller car) and usually closer to $5000 a year for an "average" car. If it's a sports car, $7-8000 a year is not unlikely.

Oh, and for comparison, the parent of that 17 year old, commuting in their car, might expect to pay $800-1300 a year for an "average" car. Both of these are assuming "claims-free" driving status. (Having accidents shoves up your insurance bill quickly!)

How's insurance where you live?

dublover42
12th June 2007, 01:41 PM
I don't drive to school, I walk, but I have a car (1998 GMC Jimmy) the gas is expensive though!

hayouralwayssoright
22nd July 2007, 04:44 AM
I had a car before I had a license, now I'm on my second car xept I havn't driven it in almost a year because i moved and couldn't afford to park it in the city. Luckily I will have it back soon because i'm going to move were parking is somewhat available. Public transportation has its advantages but sometimes its annoying as hell

narnia
23rd July 2007, 07:23 PM
I'm 16, and I drive a '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the insurance is about $700 a year. My parents bought it almost brand new and have had it ever since, so they didn't buy it for me. My parents are also taking care of all the gas and the insurance, but I run errands for them so things are a little more conveniant for them.