PDA

View Full Version : A Quarter Pounder

Guts
5th February 2007, 08:01 AM
In Australia and most other parts of the world, MacDonalds serve up a product called 1/4 pounder, which is one of my top choices.

Here's the deal, Australia is metric, so we don't talk in pounds, pints etc.

What's the chance of the company renaming the product to a 'point one one kilo', just for the metric countries? :D

FatMike
5th February 2007, 09:20 AM
What's the chance of the company renaming the product to a 'point one one kilo', just for the metric countries? :D
Well some metric countries, just like it says in the movie Pulp Fiction have alternate names. McDonalds here in Australia actually opened its first store a year or so before the Australian metric conversion and things have been the same ever since. Thanks to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_Pounder) for the below info:
In most markets unfamiliar with English measurements, the Quarter Pounder is known as the Hamburger Royale or McRoyal, or variants thereof, as famously explained in the film Pulp Fiction. In countries that have gone metric, such as Canada, Australia, and New Zealand the sandwich retains the Quarter Pounder name.
But Hypothetically, it would be way too complicated for a company to do such an unusual conversion style for any product... haha :p
Besides, Older People are some of McDonalds biggest customers, and theres so many of them nowadays and they know exactly what a Quarter Pound is.

Guts
5th February 2007, 10:00 AM
Very informative Boochan - I really must get out more :)

FatMike
5th February 2007, 10:17 AM
Very informative Boochan - I really must get out more :)
not to worry, I have too much time on my hands to find out about all this pointless information :D

Diagonal
5th February 2007, 12:37 PM
This made me think of Pulp Fiction.

jasonthejason
5th February 2007, 10:52 PM
yes, Canada also uses they non metric names at MacDonalds, even though we use the metric system. I'm angry that they don't have the veggie burger anymore in Canada, it was soooo good, fattening and I'm a vegetarian.

jaybear
6th February 2007, 01:40 AM
And I am sure the Quarter Pounder will never be renamed here in Canada cuz we only very half-heartedly use the metric system. Liquid and linear measures and others, yeah - we're metric. But the federal government backed off on the demand that all scales go from ounces and pounds to grams and kilos cuz everyone was confused and storekeepers were ripping customers off. Plus we were out of step with the U.S. in trade. So now most scales measure either in both, or even JUST in pounds.

I'm really glad I don't have to weigh myself in metric. I seem much fatter in pounds than in kilos!!!

FatMike
6th February 2007, 06:29 AM
Heck, I noticed in all places that my College Cafeteria is now measuring there coffee cup amounts in Ounces. In a learning institution, which is ironic :p

Chubby
6th February 2007, 08:39 AM
HMMMMMMMM quarter pounders are the nicest burgers ive tasted i work at mcdonalds and i sell them all the time

cow_boo
6th February 2007, 05:28 PM
So, just so you know, the quarter pouder is called the "Big Mac" here in France.

Icarus
6th February 2007, 09:48 PM
Umm, are you sure? The Big Mac is an entirely different burger over here. Two hamburgers in between three pieces of bread with cheese and lettuce etc. A quarter pounder is a larger burger between two piece of bread, often with cheese, and a relish I believe.

cow_boo
7th February 2007, 07:14 AM
Yeah, you're right.

I don't remember which one is the quarter pounder here. Maybe the royal cheese?

FatMike
7th February 2007, 08:49 AM
I don't remember which one is the quarter pounder here. Maybe the royal cheese?
Thats correct for continental Europe.

Big_fat_kiddo
7th February 2007, 10:41 AM
Well, it's called a Quarter Pounder here in The Netherlands aswel.

Omniscient
8th February 2007, 11:03 PM
I'm angry that they don't have the veggie burger anymore in Canada, it was soooo good, fattening and I'm a vegetarian.

I'm also veg, and for your jealousy, we still have the veggie burger here!

Matuso
9th February 2007, 02:16 AM
If it's a "Royale (with) Cheese" in Europe...I wonder what they call "Dead Nigger Storage" over there? lol

Did you know that the Double Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese is the most calorie-filled hamburger at McDonald's?

FatMike
9th February 2007, 09:53 AM
Did you know that the Double Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese is the most calorie-filled hamburger at McDonald's?
'Tis why I ingest 2 of them and a McOz (Local burger, quarter pounder with full salad and beetroot) whenever I feel like Mcdonalds for lunch.
FYI, its the most calorie filled here at 580 Calories. Its probably a bit higher in the states since the local McDonalds' here is bent on looking "healthy".

diamone
10th February 2007, 01:57 PM
So what do they call the Big Mac in France then?

Omniscient
10th February 2007, 04:34 PM
So what do they call the Big Mac in France then?

"Big Mac"?

The big mac is their most famous (?) burger, so why change the name...

Big_fat_kiddo
10th February 2007, 04:56 PM
"Big Mac"?

The big mac is their most famous (?) burger, so why change the name...

The name is probably Big Mac, but translated back to French, since almost all, not every, French hate other languages.

cow_boo
10th February 2007, 08:21 PM
No, the Big Mac is called the Big Mac in France. Every MacDonald's burger has an english name.

And NO, we don't hate other languages :p

That's more a problem linked to the fact that lots of people don't speak a foreign language and that lots of english words have enter french vocabulary. Some people are trying to protect our beautiful ;) (and very difficult) language.

Big_fat_kiddo
11th February 2007, 12:27 PM
Something I saw ages ago on tv.

"We want other countries to give more French classes, because it is such a difficult, and good language. Altough, we do NOT want to learn any other langauge our selves because it will polute our own"

But I really don't care who speaks what langauge, and why:p

fatlineman72
14th February 2007, 03:31 AM
screw big macs, its all about the stackers baby

FatMike
14th February 2007, 08:20 AM
screw big macs, its all about the stackers baby
I dunno how people can do that..
I'd rather 2 full burgers rather then one burger with a ton of meat.

camcollector
18th February 2007, 06:05 AM
If it's a "Royale (with) Cheese" in Europe...I wonder what they call "Dead Nigger Storage" over there? lol

I was waiting for a Pulp Fiction reference. Thanks!

abg1988
7th March 2007, 10:59 PM
I always feel soo full or just sick to my stomach whenever i eat a BigMac or pretty much anything but the fries at McDonalds...Strange I know

FatMike
8th March 2007, 05:17 AM
I always feel soo full or just sick to my stomach whenever i eat a BigMac or pretty much anything but the fries at McDonalds...Strange I know
Opposite here amazingly, I cannot stand there fries.
Then again, I don't really like fries period.. too salty.

Big_fat_kiddo
8th March 2007, 12:32 PM
Opposite here amazingly, I cannot stand there fries.
Then again, I don't really like fries period.. too salty.

Finally someone who doesn't like fries too.

And I thought I already knew you:p

fat_man
9th March 2007, 03:40 AM
Fries rock, if they're salted.

But MacDonalds tastes like gum under your shoe =\

FatMike
9th March 2007, 05:08 AM
But MacDonalds tastes like gum under your shoe =\
It really depends where you live, even on the outlet!
I know most stores here in Australia now make everything fresh to order, so it tastes pretty damn good. The taste does worsen if its been sitting there for a long time, which is why its so pleasing fresh.

Big_fat_kiddo
9th March 2007, 01:00 PM
I only eat fries when I buy them fresh, and fry them myself, but that only happens like once every 2 months or so.

Potjomkin
16th June 2007, 10:39 PM
we also don`t have a quarter pounder in germany ,but a big mac like our french neighbours^^
lg chris

gryboy09
17th June 2007, 03:50 AM
i love quarter pounders! i got this great coupon card at school for $10 and i can use as much as i want for a year. and when of the coupons r buy one quarter pounder get one for free. man i have used it soo many times

DewCrew9
3rd July 2007, 05:51 PM
McDonalds has one (here in the States) called a double quater pounder with cheese. I think it's around 720 calories.

dannyp
3rd July 2007, 08:12 PM
we also don`t have a quarter pounder in germany ,but a big mac like our french neighbours^^
lg chris

its called a royale in europe. ^^

biggerandbetter
14th August 2007, 11:35 PM
i like the double quarter punders *drool*